St Cecilia Chorus is a friendly amateur SATB choir with about 65 members based in Banstead, Surrey. Judith McEwan sang with us for @30 years and was our Secretary until February 2018. She instigated the idea of a Choral Scholarship programme and was passionate about encouraging people from all backgrounds to sing.
We sing a variety of choral music from the 16th century to contemporary, and stage four concerts a year in our local area accompanied by professional soloists and orchestras. Rehearsals for these are held on Thursdays in term times at Banstead Junior School from 1945 – 2145.
St Cecilia Chorus seeks to appoint Choral Scholars to sing with us between September 2018 and July 2019. These opportunities are ideal for anyone aged eighteen or over in September 2018 aspiring to be a professional singer or wishing to develop their choral singing and sight-reading in preparation for a choral/musical scholarship.
The Choral Scholars will help to enhance and support the choir, and in return will receive the following benefits:-
· Excellent training to support their music studies and improve their abilities as a choral singer and/or soloist under the direction of James Dixon, Music Director and our renowned accompanist Ian le Grice
· Opportunities for solo performances (by agreement with the Music Director)
· The opportunity to join our overseas tour to Tuscany in June 2019 (terms and conditions to be agreed)
· Participation in a recruitment and selection process led by an experienced Recruitment Manager from a blue-chip organisation
· Two complimentary adult tickets for each St Cecilia Chorus concert during their tenure
· An honorarium of £100 per term (total £300 for the period) plus extra fees for any other relevant events e.g. weddings/funerals as available throughout this period
The Choral Scholars will be expected to:
· Attend rehearsals regularly subject to agreement with the Music Director
· Attend all concerts during the period of the agreement
· Undertake independent work outside rehearsals if necessary to ensure the quality of performance is maintained
· Provide an approved deputy if unable to sing at a concert
· Attend a probation meeting after one month of their appointment with the Music Director and Chair of St Cecilia Chorus
· Attend an appraisal meeting after each concert
· It is also desirable that the Choral Scholars take part in some wider aspects of St Cecilia Chorus’ activities e.g. a workshop, promotional event etc
The successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
· Choral and/or solo singing ability
· Secure sight-reading skills
· Effective self-management
· Be a team player
· A passion for high standards of music making and choral singing
The Application Process
We welcome applications from anyone who is interested in these opportunities.
In particular we welcome applications from those who can sing tenor or bass as we are currently under-represented in these parts.
Please tell us why you are interested in becoming a Choral Scholar with St Cecilia Chorus and what you will bring to the role (maximum 300 words) and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 June 2018.
The selection process will consist of a short face to face assessment in mid-July at Banstead Junior School.
Any questions?............ call 07796 348226 or email email@example.com