Judith McEwan sang with St Cecilia Chorus for 30 years and was our Secretary until February 2018. She instigated the idea of a Choral Scholarship programme and was passionate about encouraging people from all backgrounds to sing.
St Cecilia Chorus appoints Choral Scholars to sing with us for one season between September and July. These opportunities are ideal for anyone aged eighteen and over aspiring to be a professional singer or wishing to develop their choral singing and sight-reading in preparation for a choral/musical scholarship. We pay an honorarium plus expenses. Applications for our 2019-20 Choral Scholarship will open shortly.
Our current choral scholar is soprano Francesca Pringle who is studying at the Royal Academy of Music.
|Ben Jerrard, Choral Scholar 2017-18|
Benjamin Jerrard was the first recipient of the Judith McEwan Choral Scholarship of St Cecilia Chorus. He is a London based classical Tenor whose passion for singing started when he joined the Chapel Choir at The John Fisher School at the age of eleven under the leadership of Alan Murdoch. Under the tutelage of Richard Slade, Benjamin won many local junior classical singing competitions including the Marion Wey Trophy. Benjamin was also awarded a choral scholarship at St Michael’s Church, Cornhill London and it was his passion for sacred choral music that eventually led him to opera music Benjamin has recently graduated from Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance specialising in vocal studies and performance.
The Choral Scholars will help to enhance and support the choir, and in return will receive the following benefits:-
· Excellent training to support their music studies and improve their abilities as a choral singer and/or soloist under the direction of James Dixon, Music Director and our renowned accompanist Ian le Grice
· Opportunities for solo performances (by agreement with the Music Director)
· The opportunity to join our overseas tour to Tuscany in June 2019 (terms and conditions to be agreed)
· Participation in a recruitment and selection process led by an experienced Recruitment Manager from a blue-chip organisation
· Two complimentary adult tickets for each St Cecilia Chorus concert during their tenure
· An honorarium plus expenses and extra fees for any other relevant events e.g. weddings/funerals as available throughout this period
The Choral Scholars will be expected to:
· Attend rehearsals regularly subject to agreement with the Music Director
· Attend all concerts during the period of the agreement
· Undertake independent work outside rehearsals if necessary to ensure the quality of performance is maintained
· Provide an approved deputy if unable to sing at a concert
· Attend a probation meeting after one month of their appointment with the Music Director and Chair of St Cecilia Chorus
· Attend an appraisal meeting after each concert
· It is also desirable that the Choral Scholars take part in some wider aspects of St Cecilia Chorus’ activities e.g. a workshop, promotional event etc
The successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
· Choral and/or solo singing ability
· Secure sight-reading skills
· Effective self-management
· Be a team player
· A passion for high standards of music making and choral singing
Contact 07796 348226 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.