Judith McEwan sang with St Cecilia Chorus for 30 years and was our Secretary until February 2018. She instigated the idea of a Choral Scholarship programme and was passionate about encouraging people from all backgrounds to sing.
Applications are now open for Choral Scholars to sing with us between September 2019 and July 2020. These opportunities are ideal for anyone aged 17 and over aspiring to be a professional singer, or wishing to develop their choral singing and sight-reading in preparation for a choral/musical scholarship.
Our current choral scholar is soprano Francesca Pringle who is studying with Nuccia Focile at the Royal Academy of Music. She has sung with many choirs in a wide variety of venues, including English Cathedrals and on tour to Norway, Paris and Barcelona. She has also received choral scholarships from St George’s Beckenham and St Matthew’s Westminster. In her time with St Cecilia Chorus, Francesca has sung with the soprano section and also performed solos in the summer concert and in our Tuscany concerts.
Read about previous choral scholars.
The 2019/20 Choral Scholars will help to enhance and support the choir, and in return will receive the following benefits:-
- Excellent training to support their music studies and improve their abilities as a choral singer and/or soloist under the direction of our Music Director James Dixon, and our renowned accompanist Ian le Grice
- Opportunities for solo performances at concerts and other events arranged by St Cecilia Chorus
- Participation in a recruitment and selection process led by an experienced Recruitment Manager from a blue-chip organisation
- Two complimentary adult tickets for each St Cecilia Chorus concert during their tenure
- An honorarium of £200 per term (total £600 for the period) plus extra fees for any other relevant events e.g. weddings/funerals as available throughout this period
The Choral Scholar(s) will be expected to:
- Attend rehearsals (Thursdays 1945-2145, Banstead Junior School SM7 2BQ) regularly subject to agreement with the Music Director
- Attend all concerts during the period of the agreement
- Undertake independent work outside rehearsals if necessary to ensure the quality of performance is maintained
- Provide an approved deputy if unable to sing at a concert
- Attend a probation meeting after one month of their appointment with the Music Director and Chair of St Cecilia Chorus
- Attend an appraisal meeting after each concert
- It is also desirable that the Choral Scholars take part in some wider aspects of St Cecilia Chorus’ activities e.g. a workshop, promotional event etc
The successful candidate(s) will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Choral and/or solo singing ability
- Secure sight-reading skills
- Effective self-management
- Be a team player
- A passion for high standards of music making and choral singing
- Aged 17 on 1 September 2019
The Application Process
We welcome applications from anyone who is interested in these opportunities.
In particular we welcome applications from those who can sing tenor or bass as we are currently under-represented in these parts.
The selection process will consist of a short face-to-face assessment in mid July at Banstead Junior School, SM7 2BQ.
Please tell us why you are interested in becoming a Choral Scholar with St Cecilia Chorus and what you will bring to the role and send it to email@example.com by 22 July 2019.
Any questions? call 07796 348226 or email firstname.lastname@example.org