Applications are now open for Choral Scholars to sing with us between September 2020 and July 2021. These opportunities are ideal for anyone aged 17 and over aspiring to be a professional singer, or wishing to develop their choral singing and sight-reading in preparation for a choral or musical scholarship.
Vicki Hodges, soprano, is delighted to be this year's scholar for St Cecilia Chorus. She studied at Morley College Opera School, the Conservatorio Arrigo Boito di Parma, Italy and Newcastle University. As a choral singer, she has performed in the wings of the Royal Opera House for the Mariinsky Ballet, the Royal Albert Hall and as a soloist for The Armed Man (Jenkins) at the Sage Gateshead. Recent and upcoming operatic engagements include The Barber of Seville (Surrey Opera), The Merry Widow (Betchworth Opera), Carmen (as Mercedes for New London Opera Group) and in Don Giovanni at the Minack (Surrey Opera). Vicki also runs choirs for people affected by cancer in Chelsea and Sutton for Tenovus Cancer Care.
Read about previous choral scholars
Choral Scholars will help to enhance and support the choir and in return will receive the following benefits:-
- Excellent training to support their music studies and improve their abilities as a choral singer and/or soloist under the direction of our Music Director James Dixon, and our renowned accompanist Ian le Grice
- Opportunities for solo performances at concerts and other events arranged by St Cecilia Chorus
- Participation in a recruitment and selection process led by an experienced Recruitment Manager from a blue-chip organisation
- Two complimentary adult tickets for each St Cecilia Chorus concert during their tenure
- An honorarium of £200 per term (total £600 for the period) plus extra fees for any other relevant events e.g. weddings/funerals as available throughout this period
- Attend rehearsals (Thursdays 1945-2145, Banstead Junior School SM7 2BQ) regularly subject to agreement with the Music Director
- Attend all concerts during the period of the agreement
- Undertake independent work outside rehearsals if necessary to ensure the quality of performance is maintained
- Provide an approved deputy if unable to sing at a concert
- Attend a probation meeting after one month of their appointment with the Music Director and Chair of St Cecilia Chorus
- Attend an appraisal meeting after each concert
- It is also desirable that the Choral Scholars take part in some wider aspects of St Cecilia Chorus’ activities e.g. a workshop, promotional event etc
- Choral and/or solo singing ability
- Secure sight-reading skills
- Effective self-management
- Be a team player
- A passion for high standards of music making and choral singing
- Aged 17 on 1 September 2020
We welcome applications from anyone who is interested in these opportunities. In particular we welcome tenor and bass applicants as we are currently under-represented in these parts. The selection process will consist of a short face-to-face assessment at Banstead Junior School.
To apply please tell us why you are interested in becoming a Choral Scholar with St Cecilia Chorus and what you will bring to the role and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions? email email@example.com